Today is my first installment in a series of posts called “Why I Love America”. These ramblings are dedicated to the small things in life, that are very American and to which I have become very accustomed. Some are so miniscule we seldom pay them much attention. But I truly believe, we sometimes tend to focus on what we don’t like, rather than being thankful for our many blessings. Here we shall give thanks for that which is good in our lives.
And so without further ado, today’s round of applause is dedicated to ……
…… drum roll ……….
- Americans know how to quench a thirst.
- No meager, thimble fulls of coke are served in the restaurants of this great land. In Europe the glasses are tiny.
- Immediately upon pulling your chair into a restaurant table, a waiter approaches to take drink orders.
- A large tumbler, with as much josling ice as desired, is promptly served. No waiting until after the full order is taken.
- Studying the menu becomes a sipping, good time.
- Water is free, and often without even having to ask for it. The free water even tastes pretty good. You can request a slice of lemon to squeeze in it, just in case there might be a slight hint of chlorine.
- The water is fluoridated and chlorinated to make it safe. No worries about the aftermath of a good, old thirst-quenching in an American restaurant. Now Ireland’s water is safe also, but traveling in Asia has made me very wary of drinking water in far away places.
- Then to top off the whole beverage experience, drink refills are usually:
- No measuring sips with your meal, for fear you might run out, and have to pay for a second drink. Not in America, the land of endless refills, bottomless wells, and overflowing soda fountains. American drinks just never end.
- Drink refills are often served in a fresh glass, with more ice. No topping off watery soda glasses of melting ice.
- Nobody is worried about rationing glassware. Abundance for all.
My gratitude is endless!
Somehow, when you travel far from home, you return with a greater appreciation for what makes it so fantastic. Even if it is something so ordinary, so taken for granted, as drink refills.
May God Bless America!!
Slan agus beannacht leat!
(Goodbye and blessings)
Irish American Mom