Earlier this week an old college friend sent me a link for a Christmas song he wrote. "Over The Rooftops" is written by Frank Foley and performed by "The Allstars".
Ever since I first listened, I have been humming it in my head, singing it to the kids, and driving everyone crazy with my out of tune version of this catchy tune.
Warning! If you press play and listen, you'll be lilting this song long after Santa Claus has returned to the North Pole.
Trim, County Meath
The scenes in the video are of Frank's hometown, Trim, Co. Meath. Trim castle looks magical in the snow of 2010.
"Over the rooftops Santa Claus is riding,
Just a star to guide him,
Hoping all the children are asleep."
Every year I am certain Santa's sleigh turns over the castle ramparts to veer towards the rooftops of the town.
"Over the castle, down along the river,
Santa gives a shiver,
It's cold up in the sky on Christmas Eve."
Castle imagery is inspired by Trim Castle and its proximity to the River Boyne.
This ancient ruin, surrounding wall, Barbican gate and moat, sit on a commanding rise above the town. Built in the 12th century, by Hugh de Lacy, it is the largest surviving Norman keep in Ireland.
Scenes from the movie Braveheart were filmed here. Entrance to the castle is by guided tour. The surrounding castle grounds are spectacular.
Flood lights, reflecting on the castle walls, are magical. At Christmas time this magic is all around:
"And the Christmas lights bring magic to the night,
And the magic fills the air."
Hope you enjoy this song as much as I do.
Slán agus beannacht,
(Goodbye and Blessings)
Irish American Mom
Here are some more posts you might like to explore to learn about how to celebrate Christmas, Irish style....
- Soul of Skellig - The Poetry of Anne Herridge
- Sean Feeny's Northern Soul - CD Review And Giveaway
- The Rose As A Symbol Of Ireland
- Top Ten Irish Rock Bands
- The Parting Glass By The UCD Choral Scholars
- The Old Woman Of The Roads
- Proud To Be Irish By Piano Man Tom
- Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
- To Ireland's Far-Flung Exiles - A Poem By Irish American Mom
- I'm Coming Home - A Song For Christmas by The Jigsaw Jam and Keith O'Brien
- Dublin Sunrise
- If I Were A Lady .... I'd Wear A Hat