In my post, The Demon Drink, I explore Irish sayings and expressions that warn us against drinking too much.
Here’s one in Irish.
“Nuair a bhíos an braon istigh
bíonn an chiall amuigh.”
Just click the sound file above to listen to the pronunciation.
(I’m not a native Irish speaker, but I remember enough from school to help out.)
Here it is written phonetically ….
Noo-ur ah vee-us on bray-un ish-tig,
Bee-un on khee-uhl ahm-wih.
Translated into English this means…
“When the drop is inside
the sense is outside.”
Thanks for stopping by to check out this old Irish saying.
Slán agus beannacht,
(Goodbye and blessings)
Irish American Mom
Here are some recipes you might enjoy…
- No-Bake Banoffee Pie – A Banana and Caramel British Treat
- What Is It About Ireland That You Love?
- Cheesy Scalloped Potatoes Irish Style
- Cherry Blossoms in Bloom in Saint Stephen’s Green
- Best Time To Visit Ireland
- Crockpot Creme Egg Chocolate Easter Cake
- Chocolate Covered Bunnies As Homemade Easter Treats
- Tender Melt In Your Mouth Lemon Shortbread Bars