Easy make-ahead appetizers like these tortilla pinwheel sandwiches are perfect for festive gatherings and parties. When made with diced red bell peppers they look extra festive and pretty.
Crisp colorful red veggies make these pinwheels an attractive festive finger food for your next Christmas party. You'll be proud to serve these mini sandwiches to your guests. You don't even need to let them know they're simple to put together, and can be prepared in advance.
Table of Contents
Festive Finger Foods
When I make these roll ups everyone raves about their delicious flavors. They're made with spinach tortilla wraps to add a little green to our Christmas red and green color theme.
What is your favorite Christmas party food? I love this retro recipe because these pinwheels are so easy to put together, and they truly are Christmas party food at its best and easy to prepare.
Ingredients for Christmas Pinwheel Sandwiches
Only four ingredients are necessary, so you can't get easier than that. But trust me, they're delightful with a perfect hint of pepper for a savory appetizer.
Here's what you'll need...
- large spinach tortilla wraps
- cream cheese (whipped kind preferred)
- ranch seasoning
- bell pepper, diced
A tasty cream cheese mixture is created using a little ranch seasoning for a flavor zing. You could use ranch dressing but I find that can make the spread too runny.
This is a recipe I learned living in America. It's not a traditional Irish recipe, but one of my American favorites.
Directions for Christmas Pinwheel Sandwiches
If you use a block of cream cheese then make sure the cream cheese is softened before using, or use whipped cream cheese if possible. It's softer and lighter and easier to spread on the tortillas.
In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese and ranch seasoning until fully combined.
Spread the cream cheese mixture on the tortilla wraps and sprinkle the diced bell pepper over the top.
Use a low fat cream cheese if you're worried about excess saturated fat, but I personally like the flavor of full fat cream cheese.
Green spinach tortillas add a festive look making the Christmas colors pop. White tortillas could work too, but I find the color contrast is not great enough to create a truly Christmassy looking appetizer.
Roll each wrap tightly to form a log and wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for an hour or two before cutting.
Using a sharp knife, cut the wraps into ½” to 1” slices and lay on a festive platter to serve.
Alternative Fillings For Holiday Pinwheel Appetizers
You can experiment with the filling to create different flavor profiles. Here are some ideas to try:
- Grated white cheddar cheese will add an extra sharp tang when mixed through the cream cheese filling.
- Add diced green pepper to the diced red peppers to drive the Christmas color theme home.
- Chopped green onions are another option for adding a hint of green.
- Add hot sauce or paprika to the cream cheese spread if you like spicy foods. (We have Irish palates in my home, so salt and pepper are considered spicy).
- Serve alongside a salsa or ranch dressing dip.
- Add crumbled feta cheese to the cream cheese and use cranberries instead of diced red peppers. Chopped almonds can add some texture to this combination.
- Use pesto instead of cream cheese for a dairy free or vegan alternative.
- Diced sundried tomatoes are another red and festive looking filling option.
These cream cheese and diced red pepper pinwheels are my go to easy party recipe, but you can create your own masterpiece for your next cocktail party.
Serving Ideas For A Party Pinwheel Platter
You can get creative and lay these sandwiches on a large platter in the shape of a Christmas tree. Cut out a cheddar cheese star to place at the top of your tree.
If you do not have a large platter, you can alternatively cover a baking sheet with Christmas napkins and create rows of inviting roll ups for your guests.
You can also cut out cheddar cheese stars to lay on top of each pinwheel sandwich to make them into more substantial bites.
If you make them ahead of time, cover them with plastic wrap or store them in an airtight container in the refrigerator before serving. I do not recommend making these sandwishes more than two hours in advance.
Printable Party Pinwheel Recipe
Here's the printable recipe with all the details and step-by-step photo instructions.
Christmas Pinwheel Sandwiches
- 5 large tortilla wraps spinach flavor
- 8 ounces cream cheese whipped
- 2 tablespoons ranch seasoning
- 1 large red bell pepper diced (or 2 small red peppers)
- In a small bowl, combine the cream cheese and ranch seasoning.
- Spread the cream cheese on the tortilla wraps.
- Dice the red peppers and sprinkle over the cream cheese.
- Roll each wrap tightly to form a log. Chill for an hour before cutting.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the wraps into ½” to 1” slices. Serve chilled.
Nutrition Information is estimated based on the ingredients and cooking instructions as described in each recipe and is intended to be used for informational purposes only. Please note that nutrition details may vary based on methods of preparation, origin and freshness of ingredients used.
Happy Christmas Menu Planning
These pretty red and green holiday tortilla pinwheels will help make holiday season celebrations special. Flavorful and savory they're delicious with a glass of wine or served with a cocktail.
And if the weather is cold why not serve them with an Irish hot whiskey.
I've even made these cream cheese pinwheels for lunch in the days running up to Christmas.
Wishing you all inspiration as you plan your festive food menus this Christmas.
Best wishes to all for a very happy Christmas.
Slán agus beannacht,
(Goodbye and blessings)
Mairéad -Irish American Mom
Pronunciation - slawn ah-gus ban-ock-th
Mairéad - rhymes with parade
Here are some other festive recipes and ramblings you might enjoy...